Wednesday 6 February 2013

Home again, home again...

Bye by, Poods!
Jiggety-jig!
Breakfast in Amsterdam. Afternoon coffee in Horseshoe Bay, BC. Is this not a wondrous age we live in!
The fact that my body has no idea where it is at this moment  (I've been up since 5 a.m.) is irrelevant. It will all sort itself in a day or two.

Wondrous mouth-watering cheeses

I'd never been to Holland before, so even if my visit there was literally a flying one (16 hours, I think), I got to experience a cheese shop where I ordered whatever cheese I wanted on whichever bread I liked with the usual add-ons. Like a pared down Subway, if you will, but no sauces to meddle with the flavour of the cheese. And the cheeses...shelves of them stacked to the ceiling and everywhere little dishes of samplers. I really didn't need to buy anything. Like the old woman in purple I could have "gobbled up the samples in shops". Gotta say, the coffee didn't do it for me...too small a cup, too strong.
 9 hours and 50 minutes is a long time to be a sardine and my observation is that the days of lucking into an adjacent empty seat are long gone. Packed to the ceiling, literally, considering what now gets put in those overhead bins. I do hope those locks are super-strong! KLM did a fine job of seeing that we were constantly fed and watered and afternoon ice cream snack was a first for me. Do I ever stop talking about food?
I have busted up my lower back. (it's temporary) so an anonymous thank you is in order  to all my heroes yesterday who hefted my suitcase. I couldn't have made it without you!
Ahhh...
A Starbucks treat while waiting for the delayed ferry, the warm welcome my family greeted me with, my own bed and the thoughtful gift of my morning starter fluid, orange juice, underlines for me that there really is no place like HOME!
My wings are folded, gypsy skirts and tinkling bells tucked away for now, but just for now.
I'll let you know when I'm on the move again.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely conclusion to this adventure. Hope your 'back on the mend' with some RMT help. Would have loved to have been with you in that cheese shop. Yum, Yum.
    I don't think you'll have to worry about getting wrinkles in your gypsy skirt, for it won't be sitting in the closet long enough!
    Awaiting your next post.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've enjoyed the jottings. You're right. The gypsy skirt is being refurbished, as we speak, for a warmer jaunt to Mexico in April. I'm thinking of adding a few extra bells. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete