Wednesday 11 September 2013

Trinity

View from our accommodations


A very old Anglican church...site of Sunday's concert

My favourite house in Trinity
My father's people are from Trinity. Here in Newfoundland, that's significant. Up until recently people made connections with people they just met by knowing which community the family name came from. That's all changing now with the world including  Newfoundland, becoming so much more mobile. Certainly the influx of new people from all parts of the world has lessened the importance of knowing where someone is 'from'.
 In any event Trinity has a huge draw for me. It is a picture-book community of only about 35 year-round inhabitants but the summer sees that blossom into the hundreds with the summer livyers plus 1000's of tourists. The town itself is tucked under a hill beside the water in Trinity Bay and now that the old houses have been painted the expected Newfoundland bright colours, it looks like a  child's boxed toy town. 
No car is required once you arrive and find a place to stay. This is a delightfully walkable  town. As soon as we were settled in to our accommodations overlooking the water and the lighthouse, I set off to get reacquainted with the now-familiar roads and byways. I took many pictures of houses with a plan to send them to my Aunt whose birthday was the next day and whose love of Newfoundland matches my own.Then it was time for dinner & a theatre performance.Rising Tide theatre Company, headed by Donna Butt, has been offering a delicious variety of Newfoundland based theatre productions  in Trinity for 20+ years.



Yummy salmon dinner with a hazelnut chocolate dessert had lots of time to settle as we watched "Loop", the story of a young lad's quest for answers in a small Newfoundland community ( we call them outports) following World War 2.This production had some very touching moments and was sensitively performed by the excellent cast.
Cantus Vocem, a well-known a cappella choir offered a free concert in the local church on Sunday. Couldn't miss that!  As we took our seats, Janet said, "I hear someone calling Judy House (my maiden name)."  I turned around to meet for the first time, the son of a former business acquaintance of my father's, whose people are also from Trinity. Also with him & his wife were another couple. This woman was the much younger sister of a former schoolmate of mine. I last saw her when she was  a curly-haired child of about 5. We stopped talking when the excellent concert began but were invited back to the Maybee's where we talked and reminisced non-stop including over a delicious dinner, until 7:30 p.m.   Pure magic, it was! The Maybees live in his grand father's  house built in 1892. They have preserved the old house and added a piece on which overlooks the water. History and the ocean in one place. Fabulous!
I had mixed emotions the next morning when it's time to begin the last leg of this driving vacation. I would have loved another day (or more) in this tiny hamlet but will also be happy to turn in the rental car and stop driving. ( When I did turn the car in, I did the math and discovered I had driven 3845 kilometres in 3 weeks. How far might I have driven if I actually enjoyed driving!) 
Good-bye Trinity. I know I shall return.
Abandoned.

Idyllic

Farewell

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful heartwarming story! A fine example of the foundation of Newfoundlander's reputation.Awesome pictures too!
    Thanks again Jude for the travel update.

    ReplyDelete