Thursday 22 August 2013

A Corner Brook Walk

I am behind on writing about my travels. I discovered yesterday that typing while rocking and rolling on the Atlantic Ocean is not conducive to a calm stomach so I gave it up. Today we were on the water form 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. with 2 hours ashore in Hermitage... another day of no reporting but it was a grand day. Details soon...

As this vessel I'm on traversing Nfld's South Coast from Burgeo to Francois rock & rolls in the swells, It's hard to believe that just yesterday I walked the familiar streets of Corner Brook. Corner Brook has grown hugely since I last lived there nearly 60 years ago. It wouldn't take much for me to get lost if I ventured outside of the streets I knew so well back then.
There are still swans on Glynmill Inn pond. In fact the Glynmill Inn is still there, the outside little changed from my earliest memories.
Cobb Lane Hill
 I walked up the hill where we used to sled as children, moving to the side when cars came along. I'd always felt it was a good hill, steep enough to get up some speed before slowing to a gradual stop beside the pond.Perhaps you can see in the picture how very small the incline really is. Either the sleds had extra fast runners, we pushed off very hard or my memory is faulty. I fail to see how we could have attained the speeds I imagined! Never mind... we had fun!
My Nanny's House
Mentally naming the long-ago owners of the houses I passed, I continued my leisurely stroll in the sunshine.
Mrs Thistle
Then I spotted Mrs. Thistle sitting outside on her shady porch. She looked to be knitting. On a whim, I decided to stop & say hello.After I explained to her whose daughter I was, we settled in for a wee visit. At 96, she continues to resist her daughter's pleas to move to St Johns and live with her. With daily home help, she appears to be just fine and enjoying her independent life. She commented that her tom cat was up on the hill cavorting but he never failed to come home at night so she even has company! I don't see her moving to St. John's any time soon. You should have seen the socks she was knitting, Super fine wool and needles no bigger than toothpicks...beautiful work.
I was a little later than expected getting to my friends' house but oh my, the delay was so worth it. Mrs. Thistle made my day.

1 comment:

  1. How cool is it that you would come across someone you knew from so many many years ago. Thanks for being on the porch that day Mrs. Thistle!

    ReplyDelete