Monday 26 August 2013

Into the Sunshine...

Burgeo Beach in the sunshine
Saturday sunshine as we left Ramea

















This is more the weather I have come to expect when I return  to Newfoundland although the RDF  (rain, drizzle & fog) on the South Coast was both expected and welcome.
A beautiful sunny Sunday morning drive to stay with dear friends in Woody Point, Bonne Bay. After a yummy lunch of cod bites and Caesar salad, we drove  to Trout River. On one side of the road is the usual Newfoundland scrub forest and on the other, flat-topped mountains with reddish soil and rocks scattered  for miles and miles ... a most unusual sight and one so vast no photo could do it justice so you will have to come and see it for yourself. Woody Point and Trout River are at the entrance to Gros Morne National Park and this part of Newfoundland is yet another kind of rugged beauty.
 This morning Judi & I set off for Portland Creek en route to L'Anse aux Meadows (tomorrow). We stopped for lunch in Rocky harbour  and then again  at The Arches.Beautiful sandy beach as far as the eye could see.
The Arches near Cow Head

I honestly did not think I could miss a turn in Newfoundland but I underestimated my directional challenges and managed to miss the tun off to Portland Creek. We turned ourselves around about 6 kms on and arrived about when expected. This is a lovely spot. The dining room where we shall shortly eat more halibut (yum!) overlooks the beach and the ocean.
Looking back at L'Entente Cordiale B & B

We walked the beach this afternoon and admired the bravery of an Ontario man who was swimming. He said he figured the water temperature was about 65F. It didn't feel that warm to us as we paddled across a small inlet!
The Beach in Portland Creek
I have never been this far north on the Great Northern Peninsula so from here on, it's all new to me. I am looking forward to new beauty!



No comments:

Post a Comment