Thursday 31 January 2013

A full night's sleep...


The view from the Burton Library steps
That's what I'll be having tonight as the folks come home today and they'll be dealing with the night time piddle requirements!
 You know the feeling: "It seems only yesterday and by the same token, it feels like forever."
That's the way my time here has been. It's four weeks tomorrow that I arrived and to tell the truth, I feel pretty settled in.
 But, let's not rush ahead...yesterday was another great day!
The High Street, Burton on Trent

I had met a woman and her Westie, Woody, in my 100 Acre Wood last week and it turns out she swims regularly in Burton. I brought my 'cozzie' ( there's a new one for you), so was able to accept her offer to join her. Ultimately, I turned down the swimming but accepted the offer of a lift to Burton to run an errand (Would you believe, go to the bank for cash?) and suggested lunch after her swim. On our way back to Rolleston she suggested a coffee in Tutbury.
 I'm one who likes the charm of ancient-looking old pubs so would probably never have ventured into this small, glass-fronted cafe. I was feeling self-indulgent and considering a mocha, when Isobel said, "Oooh, what about hot chocolate?"
"Sure," I replied, always one to succumb readily to chocolate temptation.
My, oh my, oh my... the picture doesn't begin to do it justice! See that chocolate cube on a stick that Isobel is holding? That gets stirred into the mug of hot milk until dissolved and then you add either the tiny marshmallows or the whipped cream... or both.
Sinful pleasures...

Rich, not too sweet and such a warm comforting afterglow in the tummy...worth every illegal calorie!
Our little jaunt to Tutbury cost me.  When I opened the door to here, knowing I had been gone more than the three hours that Charlie can hold his bladder, I saw immediately the puddle. I no sooner get started cleaning that up when two feet away from me, poor old Charley retches up a puddle of foamy water. D'ya think the carpet cleaning burned off the hot chocolate calories?
 After a wee nap I was off to the pub with Ian for dinner and another evening of convivial conversation and laughter.
Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say Jude, I will be sad when this latest adventure of yours comes to an end. I almost feel like I've lived your experience. Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete