Saturday 19 January 2013

This is different...


One way to cope...
The first umbrella I saw yesterday morning in the steadily falling snow startled me a little. "That's different," I thought. " It works though, with no wind." Before the day was out, I realized that this is 'the way' of coping with a snowfall here. All twenty or so women that I saw yesterday, were carrying umbrellas.  "Whatever works," I'm thinking,"and if your hairdo is important, an umbrella beats a hat. For warmth, not so much! "
Women carrying umbrellas in the snow is not the only different thing I encountered.

REAL bacon!

Bacon. Real, stand-up-and-be-counted bacon with rind on and tiny bits of cartilage in it, cut thick and packaged by the local butcher. You need a knife to cut it, teeth to chew it and something to drink a few hours later as the salt takes hold in your system! But, man is it good!
It snow steadily all day yesterday, so much so that my bus trip to York was cancelled. They have rescheduled for next week. Truth be told, that suits me just fine as I have not located the elusive camera battery charger and am waiting now for one to arrive by post from Amazon.uk. That was a lot cheaper option than buying a new camera!
Snowy fun.
Kids and snow... no different anywhere, I suspect.This was a scene from the conservatory window yesterday. The adults mutter about driving and the kids have fun. Who's got it right, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment