Saturday 26 January 2013

Another taste of winter, but...

... the air feels different today. It has that feel of spring and the sunshine turning last night's snowfall into slop is encouraging. Messy, but hopeful.
Yesterday I took the bus to Tutbury, once again  and this time had some sense of what was where... it pays to visit a place a second time, I think.
What's left of Tutbury Castle

This time I walked up the hill to the ruins of Tutbury Castle. Interesting to note that it was built on the only elevation in the area. Some parts are open in the summer but I had to be content with an external view.
Wandered past the old stone church. Tried the doors but they were either stuck or locked. Lovely old doors they are, too.
It's a foregone conclusion that I'm headed for the Antique Shop.
On the way there, I met Jimmy. He's the first puppy I've seen since I've been here so had to give him a cuddle.
Jimmy

  The Antique Shop was a tad warmer this visit so I could stay longer. This time I purchased a shaving mug which holds the brush and the soap. Since the advent of the electric razor and shaving cream, one doesn't see many of these anymore. Shhh...don't tell Lee I bought one!
Having a boiled egg at our house is an exercise in frustration as our hens produce yummy eggs but sometimes the shells are soft and scooping the egg out is tricky. Problem solved! I bought egg coddlers.
Do y'all know what they are?
Treasures of all sorts

China, pottery, crystal, jewellery...

Anyone remember Toby mugs?


After a lovely mid-afternoon meal at The Dog & Partridge (no, I'm not saying what I had 'cuz I'm not talking about food today!), I headed out to wait at the bus stop. There was an old codger there, also waiting, dressed for the chill with his warm jacket & cap and pants tucked into his turned-down Wellies.  Well, didn't he get excited when I told him I was from Canada! He seemed a little confused as to whether he had ever visited Canada or not. He was confused about a few other things as well, but for sure, he was going to tell his Missus at tea that he had met a woman from Canada. And if we ran into one another in Rolleston, he said he wanted to buy me a drink..."that's if you drink, of course,"he said.
I assured him I did and with that, he got off at his stop and waved as the bus left.
My girls will remember these at Grandmother's house



No comments:

Post a Comment