Wednesday 16 January 2013

Eating again...

I'm always early for something new. I zoomed around after I finished a Skype call with Lisa, let the poodles out to pee, got ready, got to the bus stop about a minute away and then strolled about for a quarter of an hour because I was early and the bus was late. I learned later that a late bus is not uncommon. Never mind... I'm off to Tutbury. Tra la!
After about a 10 minute ride and a few steps up a short hill, I'm on the High Street. Had a squiz ( my new Aussie word) in the charity shop which was not nearly as well stocked as any in Burton and then headed  down the street. Not long before I see The Dog & Partridge pub
where I know I'll have lunch but first... ah, there's the antique shop, Leny told me about.
My, oh my, oh my. Shades of my childhood... china, crystal everything from a thimble to a punch bowl, collections of thimbles, English pottery... the blue and white striped stuff that I once had in a jug and butter dish, Bunnykins dishes, Toby mugs, shaving mugs and a moustache mug and on and on... Did I mention that the temperature in this shop of delights was only barely above freezing?  When I couldn't stand it another minute, I hurried my chattering teeth next door where the staff kindly sat me with my back to the radiator and my front facing a wood fire. Then as my half pint of Pedigree arrived, a staff member piled coal on. Ah, the luxury of heat!
I opted for the steak & ale pie with chips and seasonal veg. I actually remembered to take a picture of it to share but somehow managed to lose it. You'll just have to imagine this individual thick-crusted steaming-hot circle of brown gravy deliciousness. My word! It was just what I needed.
A full belly and enveloping heat threatened to have me nod off so I reluctantly left for further exploration in the short time I had left (Can't leave the dogs too long.)
I love the paws on the wall leading into the Pet Store. The owner(?) was warm and welcoming. She, herself, bags the bird seed that she sells. Believe me, the birds in these parts are well catered to.
Just time for a quick squiz into a couple of mews  en route to the bus where this time, I had company while we waited for the bus. When it did finally arrive, about 25 minutes late, I think, the driver apologized and took no fare. Wow! That's a first for me.
Gotta go back to that antique shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment