Sunday 20 January 2013

It felt like St John's, NL today...


Frosty zooms away...
Not quite as windy, thank goodness, as St. John's, but a typical winter day after the snow stops. The humidity is 100% but nothing is falling and the wind pinches your cheeks. The roads are slushy and the sidewalk snow is now icy. Some of you will relate!
I didn't go far or do any exploration today so here's a little challenge for you. In the following paragraph, the 'local' expressions are in single quotes. Can you re-write the paragraph how we would say it in Canada? No fair, you Brit readers. You can't play!
First off, the standard greeting, with emphasis that doesn't translate to print, is," Are you all right?" Fortunately I replied with a smile, "Yes, thanks." and not the whole catalogue of how I was!
 And here goes:
Walking through the 'spinney' this morning, I noticed the pond had 'sished' (Newfoundland) over. On the return journey I stopped briefly to chat with a fellow dog-walker who said he thought his  wee Scottie was 'knackered'.
I had to wait on the 'pavement' for the traffic to pass so I could cross the road. A passing small van's sides read 'Bespoke Joinery'. A 'lorry' bore the sign, 'Hire & Haulage'.
 What's for 'tea'? I think steak and 'jacket' potatoes. I wonder if there's any 'brown sauce' in this house?
 If you decide to play, post your response in the comments box or send me an email if you'd rather.
The holly leaves are like snow-filled saucers

No comments:

Post a Comment